Last week I couldn't acces my blogger account from work, but now I can. Which means that I can alleviate boredom by posting, especially now that SecretPal9 has started! This weekend was very relaxing making the boring hell of work even more unpleasant. Fall has set in and I've had a very nice weekend indoors with lots of cooking, baking, knitting, reading and film/tv watching. Knitting wise I felt a sudden urge to knit a beret and decided on Pascale from Rowan 2004 winter book. It has beads and I did not know until saturday how annoying it is to knit with beads (It took me 4 hours to string the beads onto the yarn). If it starts to look like anything I will post a picture (need to upload those at home). For now I will answer the Secret Pal questionnaire. I felt quite sick on friday (stress, flu or food poisoning) so I left work early and found a sweet e-mail from my secret pal (Hi secret Pal!) that made me feel a little better. So for your information, here goes:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I am a self professed yarn snob. The times I have found acrilycs that looked nice I couldn't bring myself to buiyng them, I especially dislike the feel. I do love blends (especially siilk blends). One of my favorite yarns is Rowan Kid Classic because it's soft and fuzzy and comes in lovely colours. I also love the RYC classic range especially the cashsoft.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
One part of my needles resides in a wooden box, the circs are in a round box and some are in a sort of pitcher. I want to make a needle roll but haven't come around to it yet (I also don't own a sewing machine)
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for two years now. In this period I have been at times very active and sometimes inactive for several months. I love to learn new things and tackle challenges. I've tried a lot of different things and techniques sometimes just for learning purposes. I would say I am at an intermediate level. I can do a lot and learn fast, but I really need a lot more experience to become advanced.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I love spicy, heavy scents like amber, bergamot and patchouli. My favourite perfumes are Shalimar, Obsession and Coco that should tell you something. I really dislike sweer scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I am more addicted to savoury foods then to sweet I do love dark licorice and my all-time favorite combo: dark chocolate with peppermint.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Knitting is my absolute one and only craft. I would love to learn hwo to spin, but don't have the time and no one to instruct me.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have a very eclectic taste. It runs from "weird japanese pop music" (Happy End/ Pizzicato Five) to "woman with guiter"(Martha Wainwright/ Aimee Mann) form "Nostalgia" (Mary Poppins/ The sound of music/ duran duran/ Dolly Parton!) to gay bar (Scissor sisters/ Weather Girls/ anything disco) mixed with a lot of Air some Chet Baker and John Coltrane, Madonna, Snoop Dogg. I also love classical music especially the Russians and americans (as I do in Literature) Rachmaninov, Shostakovich, Prokofiev and Gershwin and Bernstein.
So what do I dislike? Anything dance, house, without a sense of humour, prefab pop and most of all anything by Andrew Loydd Webber(or any musical except South Park the movie/musical)
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love natural colours. I especially like slightly muted, tweedy colours. I tend to veer to pink (ish), green and purplish. I have a red period right now feeling very attracted to red. I also like gray although it doesn't look very good on me. Blue is also good. Anything too bright or unnatural I don't like.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my lovely boyfriend Giovanni, my sweet but difficult cat Lola and some of Giovanni's beautiful paintings in a 17th century appartment in the centre of Amsterdam.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes! I love them all, I also have to start knitting one of these for myself one of these days.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
My favorite and at the same time less favorite are sweaters and cardigans. I love these for the end result. Something you can wear out and about in the colour style and fit you like. At the same time there's is a lot that can go wrong with the colour, style and fit, besides after the initial excitement it can sometimes take too long to finish.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Pascale, a beret from Rowan winter 2004, an Under the Hoodie for my boyfriend a clapotis for my mom and a top down raglan for me.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer circs (I also hate seaming!). As for the material I love bamboo and would love to try some other natural materials someday, like ebony or rosewood. That said I love Addi turbo's for anything.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 8 months. It's Veronik Avery's Veste Evereste from Fall IK 2005. Half a back panel done. I started doubting the measurments so I might frog it (It's lovely chocolate brown Rowan Felted Tweed)
18. What is your favorite holiday?
A Classic, Christmas!!!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Except yarn? (just kidding). Not really...
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have any subscriptions. There are not that much knitting magazines available in Holland and the Dutch ones are all terrible. I buy Rowan Magazine ocassionally (I don't have fall/winter 2006, yet). Vogue Knitting I buy sporadically, only if they have some really nice patterns otherwise I don't buy it. Interweave Knits I always buy even if the patterns are not good the articles have proven to be very helpful. I buy a lot of books anyway and I always manage to slip in some knitting books as well so there's not a lot that I don't have yet. As for online patterns I would love Glampyre's simple bodice pattern and Eunny Jang's Argyle vest pattern
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Steeks? I'd love to try Eunny's argyle vest
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I do own sock yarn, needles but no hand made socks so I think something went wrong there (look in the yarnbasket....find three socks I started). I have a size 40 shoe that's european (dutch) sizing)
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)