Name:
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

I live in Amsterdam and just finished my masters degree in comparative literature. I love reading (figures) and knitting which I have been doing for over two years. This blog will be about my knitting and about me.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Finished bag



Originally uploaded by queenfilo.
I had swatched for a knitted bag earlier this week and actually knitted it yesterday. I simply knitted it in the round decreased for the handle pieces and sewed the bottom. The handles I took from an old hideous bag. Because I wanted to finish it nicely I wanted to buy some vintagey fabric. Since the craft movement is not really evolved to something that is hip and happening in Holland I had to search the internet to find a store that has some stuff to my liking. I found Handmade Heaven . This is a really beautiful and hip store. Looking at the website you can see what kind of aesthetic she is going for. She has all kinds of cool things for crafting. It was here that I found the vintage fabric for the lining (you can see a little bit of it on the picture) very swirly sixties style in the perfect colour for my bag. I also bought the blue ribbon and the pink which is not really a ribbon but resembling the string they use for corsets. i also bought the cute flower to sew on top of the ribbon. I am really pleased with the results, especially since I made up the pattern myself (and having never sewed a lining). Here a re the details:

Knitted Girly Bag
Yarn used: Katia Scotch Tweed ( 65% silk, 26% wool, 9% viscose)
Knitted in the round using Inox 4,5 mm 60 cm bamboo circular needle (I would actually recommend a metal needle for this type of yarn)
i used Moss stitch for the body and garter stitch for the handles.
lined with vintage fabric. Handles recycled form old bag. With Ribbon threaded through the top

2 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Asja said...

Very lovely bag, I like its colour also very much :)

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home